Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Fourth of July

Fourth of July fireworks (USAF photo)Earlier this month the Americans celebrated Independence Day.

Royal World, The Mad Monarchist, and Anarcho-Monarchism have their reflections respectively.

I am probably closest to The Mad Monarchist of the three. My views on American independence have been more positive than they are today, although I have never been clearly republican – let alone anti-monarchist – in my politically conscious life.

I tend to sympathize with the American Loyalists, which should come as not surprise to readers of this weblog. Yes, there are deplorable aspects in and coming out of those United States, as this blog should bear witness, but there are good ones too.

As I said in a self-interview some years ago, I am an anti-Americanist but not anti-American. We may get back to more details on this later. It is a complicated issue.

Suffice it to say, I do believe it is a bit over the top – to put it mildly – to wear a mourning suit for the Fourth of July – unless the occasion is another appopriate one of course.

No comments: