Saturday, November 17, 2007

Atatürk

Topkapı Palace Hotel, Antalya, TurkeyI had the pleasure of a one week's stay in Antalya, Turkey last week.

I stayed at the Topkapı Palace Hotel, next to the Kremlin Palace Hotel. My business all week took place at these two hotels. I can actually say I walked several times a day from the Topkapı Palace to the Kremlin and back.

This was actually quite enjoyable. However, from time to time, something got in the way. Why can't modern Turks make a concept like this without a scratch? Why do they have to put a monument of Atatürk in each hotel lobby? Have they no sense of consistency at all?

The concept is the Ottoman residence, and what they do is put a monument to honor the founder of the Turkish Republic in the lobby. Give me a break!

My last full day there was November 10. Supposedly, there is a moment of silence at 0905 hours that day every year to honor this man. People put wreaths at his monuments. They hail his achievement of ousting the “antiquated” Ottoman Empire.

From what I can tell, Atatürk must be modern Turkey's secular God. We say that government rather should be of laws than of men.

The ruling principle in Turkey must be government by a single dead man!

No comments: